Saturday, October 04, 2008

Promoter & Agent

I first met Jack Rinella about six years ago as we travel in some similar circles. Sex Activism & Education, the International BDSM community, and as Public Speakers.

A few years I spent some serious time with him discussing how to transform his image as a speaker to make himself more sought after professionally speaking to the general public. My voice, opinions and suggestions resonated with him deeply.

Jack first tried to "hire me" to assist him in his development about three ago. He certainly wouldn't be the first author in sex culture to come to me for such services. I was flattered greatly by his offer, but sadly unable to take him on as a contract for a variety of reasons.

We remained friends and continued to cross paths at large events where by he would ask me casually now and again if I had changed my mind, and was finally willing to be his promoter and agent. Nothing changed, I could not help him, though of course I always wished the best for him and the direction of his career.

Now for the last two days, Jack has been here with us in Vancouver teaching for Libido Events and Libido Lounge. It's been wonderful to have him on Canadian soil and in my home as our time together has before been only in the US.

Since the man arrived to me, he has asked me FOUR times to reconsider his offer. He's not joking! He wants me and what I have to offer. Jack Rinella wants me as his agent. He's seen my desk, my office, Libido Lounge, and the new website. He's met the people in my world and listened as my phone has rung non stop with work offerings. He wants me and what I can potentially do for him in the same way I've created this all for myself. I *think* I make it look easy.

It's a good feeling to be desired professionally and to have someone want you to represent them. It's a wonderful feeling to be asked to critique a person you hold in high regard and someone who was around when I first started my journey, the man has fourteen kinky years on me, yet he wants my opinions and help.

I felt bad turning him down again. I really do feel bad having to say no. It's not that I am not interested in sharing my success, it is that there is no way he could possibly pay me enough money to do what I do so well for for myself, for him.

I've freely given him much already and we have some plans on a a few future projects together but this is all that I can offer him, just brief advice at this point in my life.

With a teenager at home that needs me, two life partners to love, a home to keep up, Libido Lounge to run, a traveling and teaching schedule to maintain, a baby on the way ASAP, constantly developing new content for my projects, pondering a book written by me, being my own agent and getting a Masters Degree I can see NO POSSIBLE way to be there for any one else's journey.

You couldn't pay me enough dough and quite frankly I just can't spread myself any thinner. As it stands, most of my friends never see me, only get me in email and when I take a vacation I come home to a back log of emails that is severe and has me buried for days on end, before I can even resume my normal work schedule.

But I'll say it again. I'm flattered and tickled too, that Jack Rinella wants me and my professional skills. I feel good about this, it's a serious a pat on the back from someone I admire who also admires me and the work it has taken me to achieve this level of success.

I'd love to work with Jack on a deeper level with a contract and the pay that would come with it but I'll make do with knowing that I'm sought-after.