Tuesday, November 07, 2006

pain & relief

As I lay curled in the fetal position in excruciating pain, he looked down at me and smiled tenderly. He asked me a few short questions and walked out of my room quietly & swiftly. The clock said 4:30 a.m.

A nurse dressed in blah green scrubs void of curves and not some sexy shiny short skirt outfit with cleavage spilling out walked towards me holding a syringe.

The Doctor has ordered a shot of Demerol and Gravol, roll over and expose your right hip please. I obeyed of course and promptly.

That needle slid beneath my skin and in less than 10 minutes there was relief finally. However that single shot left me out of it for 10 hours. No wonder they don't keep that stuff on the shelves.

Medicine and hospitals I like neither, yet need both from time to time.

Grateful to be a Canadian with health care and coverage available to me at any time. And really grateful that I was at home when this happened and not traveling out of country.