Monday, August 10, 2009

State of my Cervix

After a troublesome past week and a half with pregnancy concerns today most certainly felt like a turning point. I was checked into the hospital way too early and settled into a bed on the maternity unit in the Labor & Delivery section as per doctors orders.

There were a couple of tests to be done and the most important one was the Fetal Fibronectin. Fetal fibronectin "leaks" into the vagina if a preterm delivery is likely to occur and can be measured in diagnostic test. A positive result would mean my spending the next almost three weeks confined to a bed in the hospital on full bed rest, a negative would mean would mean at home rest for the next few weeks.

I came out of the experience with a negative result and as such this means that I am 95% unlikely to have a preterm birth in the next two weeks. They will keep repeating this test every two weeks now until I actually girth birth, whenever that is.

A week from today I have another ultrasound to check on my amniotic fluid levels and next Wednesday I see the OB again.

Today I've had a few contractions but nothing consistent or even near regular, thankfully. I'm sick of resting yet so thrilled to be not living in a hospital so I am doing my best to lay low and only move about when there is no choice.

Ironically enough the hospital called this evening about our Family Tour which is fast approaching, though I already have now seen the Maternity ward a little too much lately and am unsure if the tour would even be valuable at this point.

Still no sex permitted and tomorrow I'll be talking to the doctor about when this will even be a possibility again. Let the countdown begin, I am starved for some sexual pleasure.