Wednesday, May 16, 2007

My Sweet blessed life

It is touching the great great number of you, close to two hundred thus far, who have made donations, contributions and bought memberships to the-soon-to-open Libido Lounge. Your love and support of me shines strong not just by the initial capital being raised for this Venture, but also the number of members we already have and the notes, cards, offerings of services I've been bestowed with. As I've needed most anything, it's been found by you my friends. I find it incredible all that you've done for me, thank you for reaching out to me when I came looking for help myself. I've wanted for almost eight years to bring this dream to reality, and look, we've made it together. I did this all for you, just as much for me.

There could not be this project without your belief in me and my vision for an inclusive sex-positive community. That you share my desire to be apart of Libido Lounge makes me proud. I have worked soooo hard to be in this place right now. This is the culmination of the last ten years of my activism. I deserve a place of my own, where I can create bigger, larger and more intimate sex-education, coaching and events. You as a member deserve a beautiful space to call your own. A venue that meets the needs of an adult spending time in sex positive culture: a venue that is a consistent, accessible, affordable, sexy, tolerant, educational, fun, safe, progressive, diverse, trendy, social hub and right for our uses.

I really am feeling as though I'm on top of the world right now. Even the little set-backs as they happen don't faze me. It's almost time to move on to the next step. It really is all so easy now. How everything has come together is through no luck or good fortune, it's been all from hard work. Hours every week of my personal life given up in pursuit of this dream. This has been going on for months now, I've stopped contact with so many people as of late. You know I love you, you know I care, you know I'm still your friend. Right? It wasn't even like there was a decision to make. Personal life OR Open Vancouver's Only Sex-Positive Center. I chose the latter, or rather it chose me long ago, and I was just now finally ready to take on the undertaking of my life. I sacrificed as did my family, my personal relationships and even other projects I was involved with from time to time. Nothing short of my daughter came before this Big New Venture. I was and have been a woman on a mission. Pioneering has been hard a lot of the time, though I wouldn't trade this first hand experience for anything. My sex-activism, history and background is lengthy, some even say impressive for a 34 year old queer woman that is.

Libido Lounge is being built around me right now. I'm standing there directing this and that and it stirs powerful emotions for me at the idea that this place is being created by community. There is much to do still, both offices and play spaces. Though with time on our side, we can redesign as we see the need. I've met a couple of great Professional Interior Designers (and volunteers at that,Woot!) and together we plan on doing some serious shopping late this weekend for drapery, sheers and detailing items to ready for opening.

My team ROCKS, they move mountains for me with their labour, time and commitment. Their involved has been substantial. I owe none of them anything for their help, and do they ever make me look good. They are showing their gratitude to me and to the greater sex positive community by their continued efforts to support such a grass roots effort as Libido Lounge.

I could never forget the number of people for whom I've lent strength, encouragement, time, wisdom or something personal: its these very people to whom I owe thanks today for all your help and whom are flocking to Libido Lounge as volunteers and members.