Sunday, May 10, 2009

Emergency Assistance

We were away from home, and had been for hours.

It was the middle of the night, at about three o'clock in the morning.

Road trip was going smooth then suddenly I noticed a change.

As I was the one driving it struck me suddenly that all the dashboard lights were dimming down to next to nothing.

Was I so exhausted from driving that this was a figment of my imagination, or was something wrong?

I pointed it out to RC who was in the passenger seat.

He exclaimed how unusual the occurrence was.

All of a sudden the steering wheel became very tight and difficult to turn. I told RC in a panicked voice that driving was challenging and the vehicle "felt funny".

I got a wee bit scared.

RC told me to not take my foot off the gas. We were close to an off ramp, in a city far far away from home and if nothing else we wanted off the freeway for the disaster to take place and not on it.

All lights went out in the Jeep. The steering wheel was next to impossible to turn. My foot was jammed on the gas and we made it off the freeway and down a steep hill off ramp, and stopped dead center at a lighted intersection.

We got out and checked under the hood and knew instantly the problem was not one we could solve.

We called back up support through BCAA, who in turn put us in contact with AAA. They said we'd have a tow truck within an hour to help.

Twenty minutes into being stranded in the middle of no where really, a vehicle pulls up alongside us. Remember folks, we are a LONG way from home. A man rolls down his window, looks at me and says "Hey Jennifer, everything alright? Anything I can do to help?"

It seems that we can't go anywhere without being known. What a coincidence, given where we were, the hour of the day and probability of being found.

Next the police showed up, and after a quick check in with us, they set up flares behind our vehicle and left.

Finally ninety minutes after our phone call for help, the tow truck arrived and took us to a garage 10 blocks from our original destination.

The driver so kind, that after we dropped our vehicle, he drove us to where we needed to be.

The bill was expensive, but the vehicle was fixed on a Saturday. It was the alternator.