Thursday, February 23, 2006

value of education

this morning first thing had me in a meeting at Little Sisters before they even opened, then to grocery shopping, returning home by 11:00. It was a morning filled with accomplishments. Little Sisters gifted me with a new product to try out and some fabulous business news that stroked my professional ego.

This evening my daughter had a friend over, they're completing a school project, on Egypt. When her friend left, I was cleaning up the living room and I noticed that my copy of XTra West was turned upside down. Being somewhat obsessive-compulsive, I know I put newspapers down face up. So why would Vancouver's lesbian & gay biweekly be upside down on the coffee table?

Turning to my daughter who was doing something else, I casually say, "there is no right or wrong answer babe, and it's no big deal, but I'm wondering if you turned my copy of XTra West over when your friend was visiting"? "No" replies my daughter, "I turned it over before she got here." Shows what I know!

There's been this nagging little issue popping up in my head that needs resolution, perhaps you can help me.

Would you show up to a Libido Events workshop or party, without any money? Then when asked to pay, just before the workshop starts, would you stand before me and ask if your attendance in the class was free, or could be free. "No" I say, rather bewildered by the question and quite frankly the absurdity of the whole idea. "Well then could I get in for free?" rolls of this person lips effortlessly.

Calmly & slowly, I asked why I would let them in for free. I know the person, and have known them over time. Not as a friend, but rather as a friendly acquaintance and this acquaintance, told me of being broke today and unable to pay. Not a volunteer of Libido Events, not a supporter at any other events in the last year, not a phone call or e-mail request, but suddenly I'm good enough for a $25 event pass, on the house, at this exact moment? With a smile, I say ok, sure. And before I can say another word this person leans in towards me and says, "so I need to know if I have to pay you back?"

What the hell, of course you have to pay me back I'm thinking to myself. This is just turning into one big flaky conversation that I'm not at all enjoying. Someone undermining my work and it's value when it comes to paying me, yet considering it valuable enough to show up for.

Yes please attend this evenings workshop and enjoy yourself, learn much at my expense. I've much work to do at this moment and don't want to be dealing with the issue of $25. Tomorrow though is another story, I plan on phoning this person and making sense of it all.

aaahhhh