Wednesday, December 07, 2005

hurtful words

Gilmore Avenue and Parker Street
4 way stop
CAR ACCIDENT

Jennifer at fault and yet I was the CALM one in the accident.
What a way to start my work day at 8:30AM!

++++++++++++++++++



My daughters Principal called this morning to tell me how she's fixed the issue my daughter and I brought to her office last week during our appointment. It seems my child has a teacher this year, that likes to call her entire 31 student class "idiots" and other times "stupid idiots" to their faces while they are sitting in their desks.

She talks through ALL announcements on the PA system and despite the fact school gets out at 3:00 her class is never out before 3:10.

My daughter is a REALLY good student & young person. Student Council. Peer Mediator. Community Social Planner, Path Finder and in band. A really good child, well behaved, well spoken, polite and sincere.

She shared with me what her teacher was doing in actions to her class as well as how she talks to them. Supporting her in finding some immediate changes and help for this situtation with her teacher took us to a visit with both the Principal and Vice Principal.

I could have gone to talk to the teacher myself alone but thought it better to allow my daughter the chance to express her concerns to those with the power to change it. I was also hugely proud of witnessing my daughter make effective change not just for her own well being but also for others.

The call this morning said that "my daughter is very brave and strong for coming forward." The teacher confessed so to speak and even had a number of excuses as to why words like stupid and idiot are being said to students - but alas her excuses fell on deaf ears.

No one was interested in hearing anything from her but how she plans on implementing change. I've told my daughter she never has to be anywhere where she is ill treated and not respected and I've reiterated this to the Principal.

I won't pull my child from the class over it, but I would go a step above to have the teacher moved from the class should she not be able to handle herself with young impressionable children. {in future}

I've spent a lifetime telling my daughter how intelligent, smart, shrewd, creative, and expressive she is and what wonderful attributes those things are. I'll be damned if one teacher in one year of her elementary school experience is going to ruin for her what we've built together and what she know's to be true.

It's her confidence and it's the most important thing that she'll carry out in to the world and into high school. No one, not even a teacher will be permitted to rip from my daughter her feeling of safety, confidence, intellegence or creativity.


Jennifer
my daughters mother