Thursday, February 17, 2011

Follow along now ...

This a short story about a man. Let's call him Ralph.

Ralph recently constructed an email and sent it off to me asking to become a member of the Lounge.

I sent Ralph back the exact same informational email that I send to the thousands of other people who write me each year. Contained within that email is information on booking an orientation, links to read first and a mailing list to sign up for.

Ralph then wrote me back, FOUR TIMES.

His first email to me did not contain the necessary and asked for information. His subsequent emails hitting my in-box, one after another, each one almost identical, but-not-quite.

Then this morning I wrote him back exasperated, stating that four consecutive emails is too many for a one woman operation to be answering and that I would appreciate not being inundated with future unnecessary mail. One email should be able to handle our exchange. Well, one email should be able to handle our exchange if he had read what I sent him in the first place.

Then he had the audacity to write me back and tell me if I had given him the information he wanted to begin with, that he wouldn't be bothering me with so many emails. Not true. Had he have read the email I sent him and the links provided, he would have sent me one email with the correct information.

There is a system in place for how we handle new member requests, for handling orientation and for dealing with people who prove challenging.

Step by step. Follow along. If you can't follow me through an email exchange to get you to orientation, then we are not likely to get along. I won't have members at the Lounge that I don't get along with or that don't respect me.


UPDATE:

Ralph wrote me back again this afternoon, stating that he had seen a photo of me and that I am unattractive. Due to this, he won't be joining and becoming a member.

I feel so much better now, knowing why Ralph, a man I have never met, will never bother me again.