Saturday, January 30, 2010

Medical Crap

The nurse came by today as I am a part of the home IV program, and I was due for my regular check-in. Sitting at the kitchen table she undid my dressings and cleaned my PICC site. Then she set about trying to draw some blood and attempting to flush my line. (I normally do these things, but once a week she does it and then completes some paperwork on how it went)

Let's just say that I was greatly disturbed when time and time again she unable to get a draw on blood from my line. Then finally she tried to flush the line and it was really, really difficult to push through.

Another problem and not one that a home nurse can fix. She bandaged me back up and left for her office. She called about 90 minutes later to say that the hospital was expecting me and to make my way there.

Off I went, with the Pickle and Jason in tow. Into the Emergency room, where we were treated fast and very well. (a perk as Jason works there and most know him)

I had TPA pushed into my PICC. It's a blood thinner and it breaks down clots. Seems I had a clot on the end of my line and it needed to be cleared. Oh joy. It scared me half to death to get blood thinners and to know that I had a clot too.

A few hours after arriving I was bandaged back up, my pump was turned back on, and I was sent home. Minus the blood clot.

It's crazy the amount of stress this whole situation has created. And on Monday, I will be half way through the minimum number of weeks of treatment that have been ordered. I'll be so glad to get my next MRI to see where things are at in my jaw currently.