Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Sexual Self Esteem

These early mornings are rather hard on me. I find myself only able to handle them because the weather and the Spring season makes it so bright out that awaking is easier to swallow than in the depths of darkness of Winter.

I'm off to the prison shortly and working with the women's population today. A whole new group of people to meet, educate and learn from. My Sexual Self Esteem class is being taught and it's really powerful. I wrote two differing versions, one for the incarcerated men and another for the women, given that many of the issues are so vastly different. The women's I feel is the most poignant as I spend time talking about sexually submissiveness (inferiority) and it's negative place in attempting to hold good esteem for oneself.

Next week I am walking into the Protective Custody population of inmates. (witnesses, gang members and sex offenders) Finding appropriate language to address each of these unique demographics has been an eye opening experience for me. Learning what works, what has been tested, what is recommended and what should be avoided is a reality check for certain. Though as I stand before each different group of prisoners, I find myself thinking how desperate each is to live a happy and fulfilled life and that for each of them something in their personal journey of life just went terribly wrong.

I take edible yummy treats in to each of my classes, and upon the class ending I hand them out to everyone attending. Classes have twenty five people in them and the reward at the end, is a nice way to complete our time together. Leaving on a high note after unraveling all the disclosures sure makes me feel good about my efforts.

The Prison Contract is important to me, because it teaches such positive skills to those who wouldn't otherwise seek out the information if they were not locked up. Being in jail means they have the dedicated time to spend investing in their futures and I value each of them believing in their own self worth enough to take on the challenge of this self awareness class that is a building block to better [sexual] self esteem.