Friday, January 09, 2009

Farewell

My last 36 hours have been crapastic and this hideous stress is all due to family drama.

It can be said that one side of my family has their head in the sand regarding my profession and this regularly makes for awkward conversations. Not being able to share who I am weighs on me greatly and is a source of discontent for my daughter too as she is made to curtail her speaking to appease our family.

I have accepted for too long being dismissed by certain relatives during family talks, and I have overlooked their eye rolling and heavy sighs when I mention my own work schedule and professional commitments.

I have come to a point in my career and age in life where being treated as less important than other family members or simply neglected is not acceptable. In fact, it is no longer going to happen.

As my relatives have yet in over a decade to get past their biases, ignorance and insecurities regarding my professional life the place they hold in my life has now shifted completely.

Though not severing ties with these people, I have employed / ordered Call Screen (they can't reach our phone number) through Telus and am no longer investing energy in them. As I am so unworthy in their eyes, my lack of communication with them should not even be noticed.

I am not the only one who is pissed right off, my daughter and RC are equally outraged and they too have felt and seen the treatment I receive. Being the bigger person here, I have taken the lead to separate myself from their dis function.

My career pays my bills, feeds my child, invests in our future and is building a successful business at a fast pace . That my family plays dumb over it all is insulting.

Then their is RC's family and it is just the opposite with them. I have their respect and their support, they treat me as an equal and value my contribution to my family and the world in general.

I will not be poorly treated and officially have ended an abusive and damaging relationship. I actually feel good about my decision to set myself free.