Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Scotch for Santa

This has been quite the day for me. I am exhausted.

Earlier this afternoon I went for a walk through the deep snow, to trek off to the liquor store. What should have been an eight minute walk, in reality took me twenty or so minutes. What a cold ordeal, despite my get-up. Gloves, pocket warmers, cords, knee socks, leg warmers, a hoodie, a vest, a long sleeve shirt, a hat and a long scarf. I was bundled up all cozy.

I don't even drink at all, though my guy needed some Baileys for his Christmas morning coffee so I obliged and set forth to make the purchase.

Then I continued on for another ten minute walk to another store where I bought three large steaks.

Promptly I turned around and walked home. Though on my way shopping the wind and snow was at my back. On my return trip, the snow was blowing in my face and right into me. I was so not impressed.

When I finally saw home, my daughter opened the door and looking at me burst out laughing. Apparently I looked like the abominable snow woman. Scary really and damn cold. I stripped out of my freezing cold clothes and grabbed the hair dryer to warm my legs and dry my soaking wet hair.

Did not take long for me to fall asleep on the couch for a brief nap. I awoke startled beyond belief, by the sounds of crashing snow. The white stuff on our slanted roof became so heavy, that it had slid right off and landed with a HUGE boom onto our porch, it scared me bad, the cat too and the teenager. Wild, it was a large dump of snow.

I put on a robe, gum boots and a hat, then went outside and shoveled the porch - it took me thirty minutes to clear away the snow slide that had happened. Thank you mother nature.

Into the kitchen and I got everything ready to stuff my infamous twice-baked, baked potatoes. 4 large potatoes cut in half and baked, then hollowed. 3/4 of a pound of bacon fried and diced with onion. 3/4 of a cup of cream cheese, fresh cracked pepper, and grated cheddar cheese. Then I put on a pair of latex gloves and stuffed the contents all mashed together into the potato shells before baking them again.

While the baked, I BBQ'd the steaks. After a great family dinner, the three of us are now all in the master bedroom on laptops doing fun stuff and generally hanging out together.


Soon we will all cuddle together and read our traditional book "Twas The Night Before Christmas". Then we will leave some scotch, cookies and carrots out for Santa and reindeer and we will turn off all the lights and go to sleep.

Hope your Christmas eve is blessed and peaceful.