Sunday, January 02, 2011

Vows for 2011

Resolutions are something I think about each year and that's been a constant since I was about 10 years old.

When I was younger, one resolution I made every year that I also failed, was "Grow my nails out and stop biting them". I made that vow every single year, and within days was chewing on my fingernails again sadly. It took me till I was an adult, to stop this bad habit.

When I was a teenager I had a resolution for a number of years, to " be married". That lasted but a couple of years before I grew up enough to realize that I wanted partners, not "a" partner.

As a young adult, my more mature resolutions revolved around making amends with my family of origin. I tried, only to learn the lesson that there is a reason for most family break downs and sometimes that means relationships are not salvageable.

In my late twenties my resolutions were to be a good single parent, find enough work to pay my bills, and for us to live well rounded lives. Success was ours wearily.

In my early thirties my goals were around activism, personal pride and internal strength. I surpassed my expectations.

The last few years, my resolutions have encompassed creating new life, recreating our family unit, building an empire, and developing the skills sets necessary to survive and thrive professionally and personally.

2011 is the year of health.
2011 is the year of wealth.
2011 is the year of community.