Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Unsolicited Opinion

Let me be the first to disclose that I am a sensitive woman. Certain topics really hit me hard emotionally and I have a great sense of empathy as well.

I was out the other day with Pickle (who is now 5 months old) and I was boutique shopping for pretty dresses to purchase for our fast approaching trip to Europe.

Mr. Pickles started making the usual and to be expected squawking noises of an infant needing to be fed.

I found a suitable bench and pulled the stroller up along side it. After unbuckling the harness and removing him I sat him on my lap to feed him at which time I initiated a conversation with him about how smart and handsome he is. Pickles likes this topic a lot by the way.

An older woman, well older than me, was suddenly standing next to us. I looked up at her smiling and resumed my conversation with my son.

Out of no where this woman starts to talk to me, so of course, unable to move, I politely listen.

She proceeds to tell me that it's good to see mothers like me staying home with their babies. She goes on about how abhorrent it is that some mothers think they can have it all and actually resume working. That if more women were like me and really loved their children they would remain at home until their children were school aged. She then told me what a disgrace it was for children to be cared by nannies, fathers, grand parents and pretty much anyone else aside from their mothers.

I could have stopped her mid spew and informed her that I work full time and I do so by choice. I could have told her it takes a village/community/family to raise a child. I could have told her that I was on time-off to shop and would be returning to my career as soon as I got home that afternoon and handed the baby off to his sister.

Instead I said nothing. I let her believe that I am one of those women who is apparently doing the right thing by not working.

Why you might ask? Because it was correct thing to do. She was set in her ill informed opinion. And I was not willing to waste one moment of alone time with my son to set the record straight with a stranger. Further, I had to finish shopping so I could get back to work.

But back to the first paragraph, her words stung.

I am a good mother because I work, am successful, believe in myself, support my family and LOVE both my career and my children.