Monday, September 28, 2009

Boundaries & the creation of

Without doubt, I am rather skilled at creating boundaries that keep my family life and my personal life drama free.

It is a challenge though for me to create and maintain professional boundaries due to working within such a highly charged environment of uniquely diverse people.

There always seem to be unusual circumstances, or more than meets the eye going on. This in turns means what I would not permit to be around me personally by way of issues, can at times be present at work.

The creation and maintaining of good boundaries is what keeps one safe, sane and enjoying life.

When do you draw the line and create absolutes?

How do you tell someone in a professional context that they are not welcome in your world? Do you explain why?

I want to be fair on the one hand, and I also want to be tolerant. Yet I refuse to feel taken advantage of, or as though someone is attempting to squash me. Business or not, it is my responsibility to ensure I continue enjoying my profession with out resentment towards people or situations. I certainly don't need any one persons business dollars enough to permit them to cross my boundaries.

So advice on the boundaries questions would sure be appreciated.


=====


A couple from yesterdays orientation wrote about the experience. Check it out.