Monday, June 30, 2008

Name Tags

Being hurt by some one else is something that I try to shield myself from. I dislike negative experiences and try to learn from each of them, in the hopes of never having to endure the same misfortune again.

Being in the public eye, means that I'm often in the midst of local hot sex culture issues. Not regularly, but often enough that most people know of me.

More often than not, my name is thrown around as though some one knows me or acts as though I am a close ally when in fact, I am not. I'm simply the connecting link between communities, politics, social circles, sex education & events, all through the PNW sex culture.

The part that bothers me in this is the people who think they "know me" based on community gossip, or simply because they regularly see me, as in visually across a room. Asking me a question in email, or even hugging me at an event, does not make us friends.

Call yourself a friend of mine, when you know I will remember your name and perhaps some history between us. Being introduced to me at large events, bar nights, or even fetish evenings likely means I won't remember you. Not unless something big happened between us, and even then I know an obscene amount of people so excuse me while I ask you your name three, four or five times over till I finally remember who you are.

And yes, I know you
always get my name right when you see me. Good on ya! You likely don't have a hundred people a week expecting you to remember their names and personal stories.

You'll know were friends, when I get your name right the first name it rolls off my tongue and I actually have something to say to you, other than err, um Hello....Scott, Frank, Peter, Dave...what was your name again?

I'm known to a lot of really wonderful people. Thank you for supporting me as a friend and as a business woman. I sure appreciate how well treated I am and all that you do for me.