Tuesday, February 28, 2006

feminist


feminism
One entry found for feminism.
Main Entry: fem·i·nism
Pronunciation: 'fe-m&-"ni-z&m
Function: noun
1 : the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes
2 : organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests

Merriam Webster, 2006


Feminism, meaning the faith in women, the advocacy of rights of women, or the prevalence of female influence, did not appear until the 1890s following the 1892 First International Woman's Congress in Paris which used the label feministe.

Jane Mills, Woman Words 1989


"Mother, what is a Feminist?"
"A Feminist, my daughter,
Is any woman now who cares
To think about her own affairs
As men don't think she oughter."

Alice Duer Miller, 1915


I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute.

Rebecca West, 1913