Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Cancer Sucks


It wasn't my news to tell, yet I have known for a short while now. Last time we were in Seattle a couple of weeks back, the day we arrived, my partner Allena was scheduled for a breast biopsy. Jason cooked us all dinner the night she returned from her first procedure and we sat around at her place with Pickle, loving one another as family does during such stressful times.

When Bella called a few days later I knew as soon as I saw her voice messages on all my phones.

Allena, the love of my life, has cancer.

This Sunday we will be in a Sweat on a native reserve just outside of Seattle, as a friend of ours is hosting this magnificent ceremony to honor her.

Allena may be the one that is sick right now, but we are all going to fight the cancer together.

I am sad that a woman so beautiful, strong and vivacious has been hit with this bitterly ugly disease and that in turn it is changing how our world looks so fast.

Damn it.