Tuesday, August 01, 2006

wanted

today I taught a class for Opt in Vancouver
(short for: Options for Sexual Health, formerly Planned Parenthood)


I was brought in to do a presentation on bisexuality and polyamory, the class went very well and once over, I was asked to return again later this month to teach as part of their educate the educators series. Thoroughly enjoyed the chance to share my experiences with individuals who were hungry for ""real life" sex education and whose attention was focused on learning for the sake of educating oneself, not for titillation.

There were a number of people in the room who they themselves identified as poly or bi, the hands shot up about me as I asked the question. I found each hand to be a powerful reminder that our numbers are on the climb.

Five years ago if I was in a room full of people and asked for a show of hands for either bi sexuality or polyamory, one hand, if any may have been raised. (and a whole room full of people would have looked at me with a puzzled look as those words were once foreign to most people) Now, all these years later, we are growing in numbers and we're everywhere. I'm proud to be bi, polyamorous and out about who I am.

This afternoon was spent on the phone taking care of final planning details with the Tyra Banks show as they've been working with me for about a week and a half trying to negotiate terms and such for an upcoming episode that I'm to be on.

Like Opt, the Tyra Banks show wants me for my identity and a huge part of it.