Friday, October 05, 2007

muscle strength

Picture this.

With a late afternoon appointment at our lawyers firm downtown, both RC and I were dressed professionally, looking shiny and groomed-up-fresh as a couple. After a lengthy and heady conversation between us all at the lawyers, we made the drive back home with much to think on. Making a pit stop we embarked upon our local Safeway store to pick up the turkey dinner fix-ins still necessary to complete this weekends festive family feast.

At the till, after paying the bill, I reach for a number of the grocery bags. The clerk, a young girl, grabs one of the two bags in my hands from me, and says, don't take this one it's too heavy for you. Here, take this one! And proceeds to hand the bag I had originally reached for to RC, who of course already had his hands full.

I just smiled and walked off carrying my barely two bags of food, mumbling something about Sexism at Safeway, all the while shaking my head. RC was three steps behind me weighted down by the multitude of heavy bags of groceries he had to carry, and laughing himself.