Sunday, January 21, 2007

Copperfield was incredible!

Being a mother is the single largest joy of my life. There is nothing comparable and no other relationship on the same level and any parent knows this and any mother understands as deeply as I.

My daughter has gifted me with more love than I ever could have wished for. She is a beautiful teenager with a soul that is both wise and delicate, I'm fortunate to have such a daughter.

I've made many choices over her years of life. Some very important ones I made for us, as I was pregnant. Further choices I had to make through her baby years because as she could do was cry, nurse at my breast and gain language. When she was a preschooler, she started to make more of her own choices. Much to my dismay at times. It was cute to watch.

Through elementary school, we made choices together, I led and offered options, she followed and made final decisions. Always the best choice for her. Not always my first choice, but again, her choice. I applauded her independence and started learning to take small steps back without fear.

I've raised her well so far and she has the knowledge, which is power, to make good decisions. I hold on strong and wait.

High school now and she is a teenager. I still lead, though often she's right at my side. We still hold hands, sitting talking things over some time late into the night. She often needs to make choices now on her own, even before I know there was a question before her. She makes good choices.

It's amusing now and again when I see her "doing her own thing" as opposed to something I think she "should be doing". She'll smile at me and say something along the lines of, "it's ok mom, I know what I need to take care of next." And she'll do it, she does, she makes excellent decisions.

She really is a good girl with such a sense of purpose. At her age, I was no where near as composed, lacking in purpose and not happy.

That she's happy with herself and us means the world to me. Our family life is incredible.

Tonight we went see David Copperfield at The Center for the Performing Arts, downtown Vancouver. We even found parking exactly, precisely at the front door. The goddesses were smiling down on us.

Copperfield was astounding. Hard to believe that we were shown tricks that defied the understanding of everyone in attendance. It was a sold out house and we had the best seats, in the orchestra, dead center. Awesome view of everything, what blew me away was him putting a car on the stage on top of two men AND transporting a woman & himself out of country in front of us all.


As we drove home tonight our heads were still twirling from all we'd seen, trying to make sense of it all. We've decided to see the Copperfield show again some year.


I learned a few new presenting techniques from the Great Magician himself and I plan on incorporating them into my classes shortly.