Wednesday, January 13, 2010

PICC Line and the Pickle


The first photo is of my infusion bag. It contains a bag of IV antibiotics and the pump that makes it run. A home nurse comes a couple of times each week to check on me, but otherwise I am responsible for changing the tubing every 3 days and the medicine bag and battery daily.

The pack gets worn around my neck in the attached black bag that houses everything. And yes I wear it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week as the pump runs constantly. In my right upper arm, is the catheter that attaches to it all and where the medicine runs into. It's two feet long and goes up my arm, over my shoulder and across my chest, where it then goes downwards and ends in a vein above my heart. I sleep with the pack and take it everywhere.

Truthfully just getting dressed is a challenge, never mind trying to sleep with it on or trying to nurse a baby in the middle of the night it, or the worst ... wearing a snuggly with the baby in it, a coat, a diaper bag, my purse and the pump pack. It is cumbersome.

Bathing is ok. Not that bad, but certainly not easy. Just keeping all the dressings dry is the most important thing of all. Everything is more effort these days and since Pickle is only 6 weeks old, this is not exactly the best time in life for me to have a bone infection. Long past was this all a dental issue, once it got into my bones, the whole situation became a medical one.

I'm still nervous about wearing it but I am adjusting. I am just glad to not be in the hospital during the 6 weeks that I am have to do this. Being at home with my family is the most important thing in the world to me.